As the new year approaches, many of us are thinking about setting goals and making positive changes in our lives. For those looking to make a career change, the start of the year can be a particularly great time to take the leap and start pursuing your dream job.
One of the key components of successful goal setting is to be specific. Instead of setting a vague goal like “get a new job,” try to be more specific about what you want to achieve. For example, “find a job in the tech industry that offers opportunities for growth and learning” is a much more specific and achievable goal.
Another important aspect of goal setting is to make your goals attainable. While it’s great to have big dreams and aspirations, setting unrealistic goals can be demotivating and lead to failure. Make sure your goals are challenging but achievable, and break them down into smaller, more manageable steps if necessary.
Once you have your goal defined and broken it down into steps, it’s time to start crafting your plan for the new year where you will build your timeline with key dates and deadlines that contains the steps you need to take to achieve your goals.
Now if you are serious at starting to make a career change you are in luck LinkedIn, Microsoft and Github have partnered together to offer free learning paths mapped to jobs that are in-demand along with best practices for job searching and interview prepping, so you can put your best foot forward in the new year, you can find more about the program at LinkedIn’s Skills for in demand Jobs page.
There are several learning paths available through this program, each designed to help you develop the skills you need for a specific tech role. Here are some of the options:
- Systems administrator – Learn about managing on-site, cloud, physical, and virtual implementations, as well as storage security.
- Project manager – Discover how to effectively manage projects with scheduling, budgeting, and communication, and explore PM tools in Microsoft 365.
- Data analyst – Explore foundational concepts in data analysis and practice using software tools for data analytics and visualization.
- Business analyst – Learn foundational business analysis concepts and understand key processes, as well as practice using software tools for common business analysis tasks.
- Software developer – Understand the core concepts and structure of programming languages and learn how they’re applied.
- Administrative professional – Develop essential skills like communication, writing, time management, and must-have software skills.
Each of these learning paths will provide you with foundational skills and knowledge you need to get started in your new career, as well as the opportunity to earn a Career Essentials Certificate to showcase in your LinkedIn profile.
All of the courses available within he learning paths offered are part of LinkedIn’s Learning library and are free and available until 2025 but you don’t have wait on that date, the time to start is now!
Bonus tip: Your learning doesn’t have to stop with courses above you could sign up for 1 free month of LinkedIn learning and unlock additional courses and materials on a wide array of topics!
In summary, setting goals and making a career change in the new year can be an exciting and rewarding experience. By being specific, making your goals attainable, and having a plan in place, you can set yourself up for success and start pursuing your dream job in any industry.